Growing up, this was my mom’s and aunt’s go-to recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I’ve recently introduced it to my own daughter who loves it just as much as I did and still do. The simple measurements and instructions make it a great recipe for the little ones to help with.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup sugar 4 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar 1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup butter 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup vegetable oil ½ tsp salt
1 egg 1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp vanilla 1 cup chocolate chip cookies
1. Mix the sugar, brown sugar, butter, oil, egg, and vanilla. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, mix the flour, cream of tartar, bicarbonate soda, and salt.
3. Mix the flour mixture into the creamed mixture.
4. Fold in oatmeal and chocolate chips.
5. Place scoops of dough onto parchment paper and bake at 180 degrees for 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
The dough does become crumbly so don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong! It's easier to get your hands in there and mould the cookies to place on the baking tray rather than using a spoon.
Prefer a vegan version? Substitute with the following: ¼ cup vegan yogurt instead of the egg and 1 cup vegan butter instead of normal butter. If you can’t find cream of tartar, try 1 tsp lemon juice.
This recipe makes about 20 cookies. If you would prefer to not make them all in one go, I recommend freezing it, but hold off on adding the oatmeal and chocolate chips until you are ready to bake.